Sunday 25 March 2012

Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry 101 - Day 4

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad!!

Day 4 was about techniques with distress re-inkers.

1) watercolour with reinkers (left)
(2) - messed up & not shown!)
3) custom stamp pad (right)

1) Watercolouring with re-inkers - I enjoyed this one!  I layered a PaperArtsy stamp behind the Crafty Individuals girl stamp, & then got to work watercolouring.  I've just got 4 re-inkers, but I was pleased with the colours & how I could blend them together to make other colours and lighten them - the 'brown' is a mixture of dried marigold & dusty concord and the girl's fair hair is a very very pale wash of dried marigold!

2) Layered misting - I love Tim's example, but I really couldn't get on with this one at all - I think I need a lot more practice!! I wasn't sure why the final spray seeped under the stencil (& I also tried it with an adhesive mask - same problem!)  Tim has kindly answered my question about it so I'll have to have another play ... * (see update below)

3) Custom stamp pad - I really enjoyed this one as well & loved how it turned out!!  I couldn't wait for the Cut N Dry felt I ordered (its come now!), so I used double-sided adhesive to stick a piece of felt onto the grey side of some Cut N Dry foam.  I only used 3 of my re-inkers - dusty concord, tumbled glass & dried marigold & I was surprised how colourful the bird stamped out.  I also used the same custom pad to randomly ink up the sprigs at the bottom.  Really pleased!!   Hopefully the custom pad will last for a while... I made one last December for one of Tim's 12 Tags of Christmas 2011 (Day 3) & kept it in a sealable plastic bag - the custom random pad is still full of ink!


*Update
Thanks to Tim's advice (light mist, allow to soak in, another light mist) & his advice to another misting question to mist from further away, I have managed a passable attempt at layered misting ... thanks Tim!





Back soon with day 5!  Kay

1 comment:

  1. Great tags... I had trouble with the misting one too, but kept at it and it was the light misting that helped me too. Love your personal inkpad one... See you in class!

    ReplyDelete