Thursday, 19 July 2012

Seasonal distress challenge

There's a bonus challenge this month from our CC101 Facebook group... to create a piece using one of Tim's 4 seasonal sets, and one or more techniques from Tim's Creative Chemistry 101 online course.
At the moment, I've got 2 sets of the seasonal distress inks; winter & spring (& no reinkers!).  So as I've used the spring set a lot recently, I thought I'd use the winter set.  The colours are usually quite Christmassy, but as it's July I wanted to see if I could use them for a non-Christmas project, so I decided to use lots of water & see what happened!
First I clear-embossed the flowers (in the background) onto a 4.5" x 7" canvas & coloured them with festive berries. I pressed the ink pad onto my craft sheet, & picked up the colour with a waterbrush, using lots of water. My stamp (by Judikins) wasn't very clean so the clear embossing which should have shown up white over the white canvas turned out grey in places (you can see a couple of bits if you look closely!)
So I decided to add some more flowers on top!  I used the dabber resist technique (with pitch black dabber) onto natural sticky back canvas, (using the waterbrush rather than stains (!)) with festive berries again for the flowers...
To finish off the flowers, I inked the centres with iced spruce & then added distress stickles over the top (actually antique linen rather than clear rock candy, which has gone 'walkabout' at the moment!).
I used the dabber resist technique again with a mixture of iced spruce & evergreen bough for the  leaves.  Then I cut them out & attached them to the canvas 
I coloured the background with iced spruce & evergreen bough, very watered down.  I added random blocks of iced spruce on top, & then spritzed the canvas heavily, let it lay there for a bit, & then stood the canvas upright & let the water run down.
  I gessoed the edge of the canvas, adding a little festive berries to the gesso, which made it a soft pink, which I toned down with a little iced spruce.
To finish the canvas, I added the ribbon & coin, as it looked sort of oriental!

Back soon!  Kay

1 comment:

  1. Wow Kay a fantastic project, detailed explanation and a great example of the challenge. Thank you for taking part.